If you are having a family meeting or reunion and you want to try another alternative dish, then you can learn how to make funnel cake. Funnel cake is easy to make yet the ingredients are not difficult to get. Check out the following explanation for further information.
This cake tastes great because it comes with sweet taste from the powdered sugar and it also tastes so light in the mouth. It has circular and even zigzag pattern, beside the size is medium-high, then it will serve as main dish as well. The color of this cake is brown and golden as it is fried.
Funnel Cake Tips
To make the best of funnel cake, you may want to take a look at these following simple tips shown below.
- The Traditional Way is the Best Taste
It will be great to make the cake in traditional way which means that the cake is made by pouring the batter from a funnel in a circular pattern over hot oil.
- Timing is Everything
You have to measure the precise ingredients to get the best look and taste of the cake once it is on the hot oil.
- Best Times to Serve
Whether you want to serve the cake as the main dish or as the dessert, it is up to your will. It is because the cake is made to suit those parts.
How to make Funnel Cake
After reviewing those mentioned tips above, now let’s dive into the recipe. The time spent to make this cake is not too long, which is about 40 minutes. However, it is better not to rush in if you want to make the best looking and tasteful funnel cake. Here we go!
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- Firstly, make sure that you have prepared a large thick skillet or frying pan, then pour vegetable our on it in about an inch. Preheat it with medium-high heat.
- While you are waiting, put eggs, salt, milk, sugar, baking powder, and flour into a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Then, turn on the mixer to blend the ingredients until it is well mixed and the texture becomes smooth.
- In order to know whether the oil is hot enough, drop a tiny sprinkling of flour on it. If the flour makes sizzling sound, then the oil is hot enough. Once it is hot enough, turn down the temperature to medium.
- Next, prepare a funnel and add it with 1/2 cup of the well mixed batter while your fingers hold over the opening of the funnel. Then, remove your fingers and move your hands over the oil in swirling or zigzag pattern.
- Continue to make another swirling circular or zigzag pattern until the funnel is empty. After that, allow the batter turns into lightly browned on the bottom. Use tongs to carefully flip the cake over.
- Once you have finished, place the cake to a plate that has been added by a paper towel. Then, sprinkle the confectioner’s sugar on top of the cake. Serve it while the cakes are still hot and fresh.
Funnel Cake recipe tips
It is good to see when the funnel cakes have been served well. However, you may follow these tips in advance:
- Pay attention to the funnel spout size and the batter thickness as well. If your batter is too watery or too thin, then you have big chance that the batter will not hold together. Therefore, it has got something to do with the funnel. The ideal size of the funnel opening is 1/4 inch to control the flow rate.
- You may be able to add some additional flavors to make the cakes look better and attractive. Consult the recipe on the internet or cookbook to how to have it done.
Making funnel cakes are not difficult at all, right? You can even make big served size for a big group, such as family reunion or party. You can get all the ingredients you need to make the cakes and it doesn’t take longer than an hour to serve funnel cake. Besides, knowing how to make funnel cake will broaden your knowledge to vary dish menus.