Lemon cake from scratch is the perfect dessert for you who likes fresh fruit taste. It is very yummy with light lemon taste. The different sensation of fresh lemon and fluffy cake makes it a suitable option for dessert or snack on just any occasion. It doesn’t taste heavy while it delivers addictive taste on your tounge.
Lemon Cake from Scratch
This cake is very simple to make. If this is your first time making this cake, don’t worry. The entire process is simple enough even for a beginner. The ingredients and the tools can be easily found too. For this cake, you will need around $8.00 budget for an 8-inch cake pan. The baking process isn’t long as well. You just need an hour and 10 minutes for the preparation and baking to finish.
Lemon Cake from Scratch Tips
There are actually several tips you should know before baking the cake. The following tips will not only make the cake tastier but healthier as well. Check this out.
- The Room Temperature Butter
Before you make this cake, you must consider that the use of room temperature butter is better than the cool one. It will be easier for you to mix it with the other ingredients. In addition to it, using room temperature butter will result in fluffier texture of cake, which is the best texture you should target.
- The Use of Low-Fat Buttermilk
Actually, you can use any kind of milk to make this cake. However, low-fat buttermilk has unique texture that results in puffy cake. If you like it puffy, don’t use any other kind of milk. Moreover, low-fat buttermilk is perfect to add for those who care more on health instead of taste only.
How to Make Lemon Cake from Scratch
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1½ cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup of low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven up to 350°F. Then, prepare the two 8-inch cake pans. Butter and flour it evenly, and tap out the excess flour.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until it is incorporated. Then, combine the lemon zest into the flour mixture.
- In a different large bowl, combine the unsalted butter and sugar using mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time, then combine it with the creamed butter mixture at low speed.
- Pour the low-fat buttermilk and fresh lemon juice into the creamed butter mixture. Beat them until the dough is just incorporated.
- Divide the dough between the prepared cake pans. Then, bake it into the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- After the color is golden brown, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for around 10 minutes.
- Slice the cake and place it into the cooling rack before serving.
Lemon Cake from Scratch Recipe Tips
For better looking, try to adopt one of these tips below.
- Like almost any other cake, it can be shaped as desired. You can use the standard cake pan but you can also consider using other fun shapes. If you use many small pans for baking, try decrease the baking time for 20 minutes or wait until it gets golden brown.
- To avoid boring look, work on the garnish. Instead of leaving it plain, apply butter cream on it. For more attractive and fun touch, add some delicious things like raisins, colorful sprinkles, chocolate chip, or cherries.
- Fun shapes should be perfect when your party is on certain theme and for children. However, classic small square cuts are on trend right now. Complete it with humble garnish on pale colors.
Preparation is the most important thing while making this cake. While the entire ingredients and tools will be easily found, it doesn’t take expensive budget as well to get everything ready. This cake is perfect after a heavy meal. It also makes excellent match to a cup of hot tea anytime. According to recent trend, classic lemon cake from scratch is the best. Try it.