If you are looking for sweet-flavored cake recipe, then sweet potato pound cake will be one of the best choices. This cake is not only easy to make, but it is actually tastes so great despite of its simple appearance. If you are interested to make this cake for the dessert or other occasions, then here are things that you should know first.
Sweet Potato Pound Cake
The main ingredient of this tasty cake is potato. The name of this cake comes from its main ingredient. This cake taste sweet because there are several ingredients too that actually taste sweet. It has soft and light texture from the look of its appearance. This cake is all covered in brown golden color. The ingredients are easy to get and baking it is pretty simple even for beginners.
Sweet Potato Pound Cake Tips
There several things you should pay attention to before you make this cake. Check out these following simple tips.
- Time Is What Matters Most
It means that the timing when you bake the cake is the most important thing you should pay attention to. If it is over-baked, then the output won’t be nice. The taste and texture are easily changed.
- Perfect Time to Serve this Cake
The next thing you should consider is when you want to serve this cake. This cake is perfect to be served while it is cool already, or at least warm. It is a perfect dish for dinner and it makes fantastic cake for tea time too.
- Explore More to Get More Taste
Instead of staying with the original recipe, you should consider adding more ingredients like chocochip, dry fruits, or even candy. With its simple original taste, additional ingredients like this will enhance the entire taste.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pound Cake
So, you have decided to make this delicious cake. Then, the next step is to prepare the following ingredients and follow up the instructions. Have fun!
For the Cake:
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 cup of softened butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 cup of sugar
2 cups of cold mashed sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 cups of all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
For the Glaze:
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
3 to 5 teaspoons of orange juice
- First of all, turn on the oven and preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 10-inch fluted tube pan and grease it. Set aside.
- Then, prepare a large bowl. Mix sugar and butter until it looks fluffy and light. Next, add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, flour, and salt. Mix the combined ingredients with the creamed mixture, and then alternately add sweet potatoes. Beat until well combined. The batter will be stiff.
- Pour the batter into the prepared greased fluted tube pan. Then, put the fluted tube pan containing the batter into the oven and bake it for about 50 until 60 minutes.
- Once it is finished, take the baked cake out from the oven and cool it completely for about 10 minutes before removing it to a wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine orange peel, enough orange juice, and confectioner’s sugar into a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Serve it immediately.
Sweet Potato Pound Cake Recipe Tips
These additional tips should be considered as well for advanced knowledge.
- It is better to check intensively whether the cake is perfectly baked or not. In order to do that, just insert a toothpick to the cake and see whether the inserted toothpick comes out clean or not. If it is, then it means that the cake is completely baked.
- In order to make yummy or tasteful cake, you should measure the required sweet potatoes. 2 small or 1 large sweet potatoes will end up with 1 cup mashed sweet potato.
- Instead of using glaze, you can also top it with nuts, coconut, or candied fruits. Just match it with your preference.
This simple cake surprisingly has significant popularity so far. Many people like to make it for almost any meal time including breakfast, tea time, lunch or dinner. They usually go rich on frosting and glaze for dinner and keep it simple for breakfast. It all depends on personal preferences tough. So, how do you like your sweet potato pound cake?